[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Some Sportsman Motivation

Some Sportsman Motivation

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Some Sportsman Motivation

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:52 am

Just a random shot, but this is close to the types of cars we ran at our local track in Highland IL. (With Mr. Strangebrew in his fancy mod!)
We were dirt, but as he and anyone that raced can tell you, by the time the feature came around, that dirt was hot and hard packed with a surface close to concrete :)

Anyway, these are just a couple examples of what I personally try to create in scale for the series and thought maybe a few of you might like it.

I'm working on the NOVA mold now. I am seriously thinking of moving the Snap-Tite Firebird back on the list and search for an older Scalextric Cougar to throw in the mix. Not to mention a 66-67 Revogram Charger.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Some Sportsman Motivation

Postby historiceng » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Harry these are great pictures, I wish I could have seen this sort of racing.. I'm off to Google Highland IL track now.

I have not seen McReady or McReary tyres before?

I would like to "subscribe" to the bodies when they are done please!
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:01 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Z-carfan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:06 pm

WOW those are cool! Looking forward to your progress on the bodies.
I was going to enter again for the summer event, but shop is a mess and I'm working on the road course for the SCCA and RAA events.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:17 pm

I forgot all about the lesser know racing tires. McCreary was one you almost never saw, usually on a car from far away from us. Hoosier was the big name in the Mid South region, then Goodyear.

That '66 Charger would make an amazing Sportsman Class car.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby REL13 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:09 pm

I ran those tires back in the 80's when I ran a late model at Thompson speedway here in CT. REL13
REL13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby historiceng » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:12 pm

historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby historiceng » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:15 pm

OOps, I should say Tire info not tyre ;)
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 32lbking » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:43 pm

That Cougar is really sweet 8-) . I went to a lot of dirt track races when I was young, and I can't recall seeing a Cougar dirt track car .
The dirt racing was great. When they paved the local track I started to lose interest. I went to the track a few times after but it just wasn't as appealing to me as the dirt racing.
Randy
32lbking
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:58 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:06 pm

Well said. Ironic, since our local track may be closing. Denny Hamlin got his start on it.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby padirtfan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:29 am

Southside?
padirtfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tjettom » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:58 am

"There is NO series of cars that reaches us more than good old Saturday Night Stock Car racing." GREAT statement Harry! In my case I have spent many winters and springs hand lettering beautiful dirt track cars just so I could spend every Saturday nite in the summer watching them do battle. Some won, some lost, but win or loose the entertainment was priceless! (And worth all the hours of labor hand lettering them too)...Best racing ever was the hey days of dirt track racing. Seems like the sport has seen it's best years with the modern cars and such but I would rather watch reruns of dirt racing on the net than any racing on commercial T.V. ALSO, as I have said it many times before, that if it wasn't for Harry's passion,involvement,and promoting the scale dirt track genre,I wouldn't have much interest in just another slot car forum. It's the down home grass roots sport that made for the greatest past time in America...(In my mind anyways)....Thanks for the soap box...VERY greatful for this section of the forum and to all who contribute to this specific genre whether resin casters,manufacturers,suppliers,or especially the builders of the dirt cars that keep the hobby alive! Thanks to all who keep the spirit of the dirt track racing going strong!
Tom
tjettom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:22 am

I have completed the paint, and secured a local deep pockets sponsor. M/T- Classic Racing Motors, and we should be lettering the car in a few days. Looking forward to the race, since this will be my first time with a real backer.
:dance: :dance:
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:58 am

Thanks Tom!

Uh oh boys.. You remember how that was at the track right? When a team had an actual sponsor? Woooweee~! Nicer paint, new tires, the fancy chrome engine parts... :D

Looks like I'll be field filler for the big boys to get around. Wait...heck I already was! :violin:
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Next

Return to Oval Racing HQ!