Tom Baker Carrera 57 Modified Project

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Re: Tom Baker Carrera 57 Modified Project

Postby GASSERMAN » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:28 pm

Beautiful job Tom.
GASSERMAN
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:33 pm

Wow...that is a thing of beauty TB!!!! As was said, I thought it to be real at first :lol: :auto-driving: :auto-driving:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tjettom » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:59 pm

All...The 57 Chevy was built to represent an early 60's Pro car as raced in the Illinois state championship events in Peoria,Il. (save for the Carrera livery).It is not considered a modified just because it doesn't use front fenders.Front fenders weren't used as they either filled with heavy mud pack or had chance of impeding the steering while trading paint. Modifieds with their engine set backs etc. came along much later. So for this model I used a narrowed and stretched Parma chassis for the foundation with assorted stainless steel amenities. Yes, Strangebrew,I do hope to enter it in the Showdown along with a Gremlin modified that I covet. The Gremlin body came to me as a gift from an ol modified fabricator from down in southern Illinois. I have built many HO and 1/24 cars since my first Gilbert set in around 58 or so. Anyway,I had always felt if I could find there was ANY way I could build the type of track and cars I love most (1/32 dirt racers) then I could give up the H.O. scale and enjoy building cars alot nicer looking. So, this is where HRW comes in...I give all thanks to Harry and HRW for all his patience and direction heading me where I could find what I needed. He sure has patience dealing with this old timer who is very limited with new technology. He helped me so much the last couple years that I finally tackled a smart phone. That's where the new pics come in. So, not only big thanks to Harry,I would also like to thank a few others who have helped me on my endeavors. There is Mark Thomas,Strangebrew,Dennis Samson,and most of all Steve and Bob at Slot Car Corner. All these people have been more than kind and helpful to this old timer with limited tech skills. Thank you all so much for giving me the oportunity to create the hobby I so enjoy. Also, I am quite happy and thankful for everyone else who patronizes this forum and helps it thrive. My pleasure to be part of the great company here!
Thanks all,
Tom
tjettom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SlotCarCorner » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:17 am

Like several other posters, we thought this was a real 1:1 car when we first saw the picture! Outstanding build Tom - the attention to detail is incredible!!

:text-bravo:
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:37 am

I have to parrot everyone else's comments - WOW! That is one impressive build!
Thanks for sharing the pictures!!!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Gentleman Norb » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:34 am

Outstanding! :music-rockout:
Gentleman Norb
SlotCar Aristocrat

Postby nhdungeonracer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:50 pm

I can only echo what's already been said, but still.... excellent job Tom!!! :auto-checkeredflag: :auto-checkeredflag: :auto-checkeredflag:
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby dreinecke » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:02 am

Wowee! That is simply fantastic work!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby padirtfan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:16 pm

I just saw this one. I'm kind of speechless. Simply amazing.
padirtfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slotcar9 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:04 am

Toms builds are so realistic , he puts his heart and sole into everything he builds.
I asked him to build a 1/32 sprint car and he knocked it out of the park. He is a
true 1/32 scale builder and collector. Super guy to talk and not afraid to share info.

:banana-dance:
slotcar9

Previous

Return to Oval Racing HQ!