[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Figure 8 oval?

Figure 8 oval?

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Figure 8 oval?

Postby noddaz » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:01 pm

Does or has anyone run a figure 8 (over/under track) to simulate different racing lines instead of a standard oval?
No nasty replies please. Just an odd thought from a wandering mind while I am supposed to be working.

Noddaz
noddaz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Figure 8 oval?

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:06 pm

Sure. I have had fun on them.

I just build my cars to turn left/mimic the 1:1 so they just don't work that well on that type of track.

But if you set them up straight, you would be fine.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby mattb » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:55 pm

32 foot by 7 foot. Pretty equal racing in every lane. 4 four different length straights. Ability to nerf the guy next to you if you owe him some payback.

P1010006 (2).JPG
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:24 pm

I built an 8 lane true figure 8 and sold it to a fun center. It was a blast, don't know what ever happened to it, the fun center went under and the landlord locked the guy out and sold everything.
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:44 pm

A few years back, the Chicago crazies did a destructo figure 8 flat track with a crossover, and it was routed!!! They staged a race!?!? that encouraged insane additions to cars, like giant wood screws, knife blades, claws, talons, etc. Not surprisingly, I don't think a winner was declared.
But there is something to be learned. He barely was able to get 4 lanes to work, because a radius that wasn't too confining on the inner lane required the track to be huge.
Also, the usual advice about overpasses... there have been spectacular tracks with overpasses, but most are problematic for racing, marshalling, etc. Most of the tracks I have seen with overpasses that were successful were plastic track with magnets, with some amazing exceptions.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Mayberryman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:58 pm

Mayberryman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:40 pm

Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby frank9129 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:16 pm

Hay Scott,
If you would like to try your hand at track building you could come over and lend a hand. I'm building a tri-oval flat track.
I took the Gypsy track from Shoreline and copied it, to the best of my ability. Well, I'm still working on it.
Give me a call, you should still have my number. If not drop me a PM.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:09 pm

They had a track like that at Bullitt Speedway in Louisville, Kentucky years ago. I think it was 8 lanes but I never saw anyone run on it. They might still have it.[/quote]

they still have it and have a weekly race series on it.

My second routed track was a 3 lane modified "8" with an overpass and the current Carrera track is 4 lanes with an overpass and we have never had any trouble, magnets are never allowed on any of my tracks. The overpass's actually make for a nice elevation change.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby smithspeedway » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:44 am

smithspeedway
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:56 am

Some wild looking racing on those criss-cross figure 8 tracks! WOW!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Return to Oval Racing HQ!