[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Mod Resin Projects

Mod Resin Projects

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Mod Resin Projects

Postby strangebrew » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:07 pm

I'm spending quite a bit of time this winter, rebuilding most of my modified castings.
Some of the mod castings need to be re-proportioned to look a bit more like dirt cars.
So I've finished most of the originals & in the process of making better molds from the new models.
I've also got a few new bodies to mold & cast.
I'm re-doing a resin cast chassis of mine to be a better fit for a mod along with a cast interior/motor hold down.
(I hate doing interiors, so what I've done is cast a generic one that should fit all the cars with a little Dremel work)
These cars are not supposed to be "drop dead" modeling masterpieces.
I'm just looking for something to put together & hit the track in a short time.
The resin chassis has proven to be a good runner without much tuning, so I'm basing all the cars on this.
All the bodies will fit the chassis & mount with just 2 screws. I'm casting the bodies with body mounting points already in place
so all I have to do is drill 2 holes through the chassis into the body. :D
A wide variety of motors will drop right into the chassis with maybe a couple of shims & be held in place
with 3 screws through the interior.
I printed some engines on 9 mil glossy photo paper to glue onto the chassis.
As I said it's not meant to win any modeling contests, just be a "quickie, fun build.
I put this one together in one day. I had a wheel/tire set & pulled some used gears, axles, guide
& decals out of my parts drawers. I used a "blem" casting of a new Mustang II modified I've cast this week
& painted it with some quick drying Ace Hardware white.
I haven't cast any hoods yet (This one is a prototype), but I plan to design & cast 3 or 4 different ones.
I didn't take enough pictures. Maybe I'll do a "How I'ts Done" post on the next one.
It's not beautiful, but I got a good runner built in just one day................ :D

Last edited by strangebrew on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Mod Resin Projects

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:16 pm

Great job sir, looks like it will race! I like the hood and thinking about trying my hand at the same.

Your other pair here...are both almost ready for the "caviar"
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby FC47 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:21 pm

Good show Brew! Looks great! Great approach!
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bill from nh » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:54 pm

Great looking modified! Your printed engines look quite realistic. :text-goodpost:
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:03 pm

Bill, you are right. I saw them up close a couple weekends ago for our race, and have to say they do the job.

And he even made headers that you COULD glue on the side for extra detail. That really sets it off.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby mattb » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:31 pm

Nice project.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:01 am

Back in the late 70's & early 80's I went to races with these types of cars 2 or 3 nights a week all over the northeast. Mostly Gremlin bodies with some Falcons, Chevettes, a Pacer here and there, etc. This was the dirt modified era between the coupe bodies and the coming of Kenny Weld's Batmobile which introduced aerodynamics and soon the cars all had sheet metal bodies, as they do till this day.

Here's an example of Buzzie Reutimann's Chevete after he stopped racing his famous Chevy Coupe.

I love this look and what you're doing with bodies and a chassis.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Gameover » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:20 am

I have one of these chassis. I will get it built and post pictures!
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby padirtfan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:51 am

Buzzie was the best and he's a really nice guy if you get the chance to meet him. He was my favorite after Mike Grbac died in the last 200 lapper at Reading.
Nice looking cast Strangebrew, how many different ones do you have now? Must be a bunch.
padirtfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:52 pm

Well Slothead..time to build that car and join the series?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby strangebrew » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:41 pm

'Duuno "padirtfan". I'm making new molds for 9 bodies right now......... :roll:
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:14 pm

You're right Harry. Two years ago I bought 2 of the SCC package deals for the showdown, plus all of the brass pieces listed on the Skunk works chassis page, then never used any of it. But, I'll be retiring this summer and may actually go back to scratch building again.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Looking forward in your builds sir.

Brew..bringing that car this Sunday?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby strangebrew » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:06 am

See 'ya then.