[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Mod Resin Projects

Mod Resin Projects

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Re: Mod Resin Projects

Postby strangebrew » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:30 pm

I started with one of my "new & improved" modified castings.
I've been toying with casting with dye in the resin to avoid painting. "So far so good :pray: )
The picture doesn't show the color too well...It's brighter than it appears.
I'm using an older hood casting & it's not right for the body. but I haven't made molds of the
newer hoods I'll be using later.
Anyway using these tools, I cleaned up the castings in 25 minutes.

Next thing to do is clean up a new & improved resin chassis I've just cast.
I had some wheels/tires in my drawer that were already trued, so that saved some time.
It only takes 15 or 20 minutes to assemble the rolling chassis, once it's cleaned up.
A bunch of motors will fit, both long & short cans. Some just need a bit of a shim here or there.
I cast this one with the axle holes marked to make it easier to drill.
I start with a small bit & work up to the larger one I need.
If the chassis teeters a little bit with all the wheels on it, it can be "adjusted" with
a heat gun & a bit of hand twisting........ :roll:
Right now I'm running them with no bearings or brass tube. If & when the rear axle holes wallow out,
I'll just drill them larger & fit a bearing or brass tube.
(I drilled some holes for mounting bumpers at this time also)
Total time for this step was 35 minutes.

Next thing to do is fit the body to the chassis.
Trim the side pans, mark, drill & counter sink body mounting holes
in the chassis & the body.
Mounted the body for a visual.
(I cast all the newer bodies to fit the chassis, so there wasn't really any adjustments to make)
Time; 20 minutes.

Next I have to trim & fit the cast generic interior/motor hold down to fit the body I'm using.
This part gets a little tedious since it has to be screwed to the chassis a couple or 3 times 'till
I get the width & length where it needs to be.
(It's best to "sneak up" on these kinds on slicing & dicing)
Time; 30 minutes.

Time to build the cage. I mark & pre-drill holes for the 1/16th styrene rod I use for the cage.
It bends pretty easily between the fingers just from body heat.......most of the time.
I use "Plastruct Bondene" fast evaporating styrene & ABS solvent cement for this.
That's a mouthfull! But it's cool stuff. Just hold 2 pieces together & paint this stuff on, & it
sets in seconds with the residue evaporating away.
I glued the hood down with some tacky glue, which will let you pull it off & on a bunch of times.
Time; 30 minutes.

Now we break out the paint brushes.
Paint time is 45 minutes.

I used some 3/64th brass rod to bend up front & rear bumpers & glued them into
the 1/16th holes I already drilled into the chassis earlier.
TIme; 20 minutes.

For the side bars, I cut small pieces of balsa & glued them inside the body behind 1/16th holes
I drilled into the body sides. I bent & glued small 3/64th brass pieces into this & soldered
a side rail to this. (It does not attach to the chassis since the body has to be removable)
Time; 25 minutes.

The only thing left to do is decal & detail.
Never had to paint the body, since it is cast in yellow, just a little wet sand before decals &
Future after the decals set......
Time for this is 60minutes.

........................There ya' go.....built it in less than 5 hours.......................... :whistle:
Not a modeling contest winner, but a fast, fun build to crash if you've got a free afternoon.
Last edited by strangebrew on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:49 pm

SOLD!

Can I save on shipping and just have to drive and deliver it in person? :)

What a car.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby padirtfan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:38 am

That's a really nice one!
padirtfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SpeedyNH » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:05 am

excellent work, castings and tutorial!
man I wish I could do that.
(did you include the time to take all those nice pix?)
speedy
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:11 pm

While at Modelville Hobby in Massachusetts this past weekend I bought a brass Parma chassis to cut up for a project - with something like this in mind.

If you have any Gremlin or coupe bodies for sale let me know and we'll make a deal.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby strangebrew » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:29 pm

Built another resin-based car this afternoon.

Started with a resin chassis & a long-can motor....(Don't know what it is, came out of my motor box)
Pro-Track wheels & home-brewed resin tires.
Printed motor sticker with 3-D printed headers from Scott's Racing Products.

Cast a 38/40 Ford coupe using red dye....Obviously didn't use enough...............As it's PINK.
Maybe add some orange next time.
Applied some home-printed decals & 3/64th brass rod bars for the finished build.

strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Another winner. Looks like it's on for this Sunday.

Great work as usual sir.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby padirtfan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:19 pm

Another nice one! No way I could keep up with you guys. You build more cars in a week than I do all year!
padirtfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to Oval Racing HQ!