[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - New Member Saying Thank You!

New Member Saying Thank You!

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

New Member Saying Thank You!

Postby historiceng » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:27 am

I originally posted this in "ky.slots" ORW Showdown post...then thought it is too far off topic so sorry if it seems disjointed but i really need to say to all :text-thankyouyellow:

Harry, Mark, Shotgun Dave and all, I really thank you for this site and especially the posts with detailed descriptions for building. This car is looking really great and such inspiration.

I am from England and really enjoy everything about your Nascar, USAC and all large and small oval circuit sport including the whole racing / family community. The historic cars and events really capture me.. thank goodness for You Tube.
You've inspired me so much that after many years of attempts to scratchbuild slotcars, without any real success, (I'm 56 and I guess I first attempted a scratchbuild chassis in my early teens) I've finally succeeded. The trouble is that I have read so much about super accurate, high tech chassis builds that it almost frightens me off before I start, especially with time constraint from work and daily family life.

I recently discovered and followed Harry's chassis build videos and the other articles for the Showdown cars, gathered all of my old odds and ends of brass and spares (many have been with me since those teenage days) and made a chassis in a few evenings. Two nights ago I tried it out on a little scalextric oval and!! it runs, almost better than some "out of the box" slot cars...hundreds of laps later and it is still great fun...

So the point to this post is, please do keep posting projects, especially pictures, you may not realise how great it is for people like me to discover and inspire.
Oh yes what body for mine? Well as this is a quick low budget test build, I have an old broken VW Beatle body a friend was about to throw away (modern Beatle), inspired by "Strangebrew", I have modified it to produce a sort of retro modified! Please don't judge me too badly on this as I know it is all wrong to have a modern European body and it won't happen again! :oops: It really is a test project!

Thank you so much for this great great site, and please keep posting pictures of the builds.

Eric..
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: New Member Saying Thank You!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:27 am

Welcome!

Glad you are here and you enjoyed the articles.

Look forward to seeing your projects as well.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby 4424ever » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:30 am

When I read the comments about super detailed intricate chassis I was prompted to comment but after reading the next paragraph I see you already get it. Just keep building and build what works for you in the end. And that’s the beauty of this hobby you can do what ever you want PS we all love the build pics
Dave
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 4424ever » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:30 am

When I read the comments about super detailed intricate chassis I was prompted to comment but after reading the next paragraph I see you already get it. Just keep building and build what works for you in the end. And that’s the beauty of this hobby you can do what ever you want PS we all love the build pics
Dave
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:47 am

yes yes pictures please
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby historiceng » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:32 pm

Please see the photo of my first chassis after great inspiration from you guys. I used some unusual things that were around in my boxes. The motor clamp is a fuel pipe clip cut in two. Motor is only nipped in to avoid distortion. Pick up guide and axle and wheels are Scalextric..
Doh!....yes that is a soldering iron burn in my nice new tyre! :roll:
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 4424ever » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:45 pm

There you go I already learned something from you I absolutely love the motor mount!
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby historiceng » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:11 pm

Ha ha, I have to confess, even though I thought I was careful, I choked the poor little motor to death to start with.
The clamp is to tall though and would get in the way of the driver, but ok for this one.
T :D hanks guys, I can't leave this HRW Scratchbuild and oval site alone.
Last edited by historiceng on Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bill from nh » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:12 pm

Eric, for your first chassis, you did a good job! You were able to put some track time on it & it still held together. :) That's an accomplishment. Running something you build yourself gives a great feeling inside. You may be your own worst critic, but don't hesitate showing others what you build. As you build more, you'll get better. Build others & enjoy doing it. Be sure to give us a peek at what you construct.
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:00 pm

Outstanding. Well done and keep it up. Many never even try, so you are doing it right.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby strangebrew » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:51 am

(" Well as this is a quick low budget test build, I have an old broken VW Beatle body a friend was about to throw away (modern Beatle), inspired by "Strangebrew", I have modified it to produce a sort of retro modified!")

I'm flattered!!!!!! My wife tells me I'm usually a BAD influence on folks. :whistle:
Keep up the scratch building........Love any kind of oval car!
I'm also a BEATLES fan "Baby you can drive my car" 8-)
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:31 pm

Welcome! Looks like you fit right in already!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby historiceng » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:30 pm

IMG_2163.JPGThank you all for your kind comments..
Here are a couple more photos of progress.
Sorry that it is euro and modern, won't happen again :/
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:15 am

Your build progress is makin' me smile. 8-)
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ccobra » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:42 pm

That's looking good. As far as the motor mount, you can add some arms to the uprights and mount a head onto the middle of the screw. Just an idea on how to cover it up. Like the green color also.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Oval Racing HQ!