[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - The Giant Midget Project *Completed*

The Giant Midget Project *Completed*

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Re: The Giant Midget Project WIP

Postby SLOTTING SINCE 1963 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:04 am

Looking good Harry ........bought one on E BAY yesterday kit $10.00 shipping $35.00.
I now have a couple of ideas to copy !!!!!!
Richard
SLOTTING SINCE 1963
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Almafan 55 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Ok, Daytona racing & hobbies. Daryn & Lisa Howard 386-248-1606. I talk to them today,kits are $10. Daryl said they do ship and have PayPal. He does give deals on multiple kits. They do carry a lot of older kits. Web site www.DaytonaRacingSouvenirsHobbies.com
Almafan 55
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby flandy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:10 pm

Where do you learn those skills required for such fine brass work? It's mighty impressive.

I'm inspired to get a Midget kid but fear I may not be able to do the brass work.

Andy
flandy

Postby JULES » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:17 pm

Very nice work Harry.
I look forward to seeing how this ace little project turns out.

Jules
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:28 pm

Thanks.

Andy, the only way is to get started. Compared to real artists, I'm a rookie hack.
You just have to keep at it and very quickly you will be creating your own. We all started somewhere.

So grab an iron, bend some brass and join the fun. Good or bad, ugly or pretty. Point is you try :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Pappy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:54 pm

Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:57 pm

Not much progress tonight. Seems it's some sort of "day" that requires some sort of extra attention to our better half. I can think of no nicer gift than blissful peace and quiet, so my idea was to head down to the Skunkworks and work on a slot car. This idea was meant with that "look". So like I said...not much progress tonight (ahem).

Steering rod is simple enough. I did find the hole in the body needed to be enlarged slightly. I used a small drill in my pin vise and fine tuned the size with a mini rat tail file.

Again, very basic. Instead of trying to mimic the kit connection, I went for simplicity and strength, Since this part will also flex a little when removing installing the body, I wanted this joint as solid as I could make it.

Good enough for my eyes.

Now to the sides and rear. Stay tuned.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dge467 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:48 pm

I am impressed! Looks great so far!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby clivearmstrong74 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:38 pm

Harry, you make it look easy!! Well done[CHEQUERED FLAG][HUNDRED POINTS SYMBOL][CLAPPING HANDS SIGN]

Cheers
Clive
clivearmstrong74
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:55 am

Thanks guys!

Slow going but more progress.

Made the side bars by again following the kit. Nothing fancy here.

I am using simple needle nose and lineman's pliers. between the both of them I can manage most bends.

The bars are completed but I need some support added to increase the strength.

The challenge was to find a way to do so without taking away from the looks. This area underneath worked. fine. Just one small bar goes a long way in the strength department.

Hopefully tonight I can finish with the rear bumpers.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby btaylor » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:42 am

Looks great Harry. Good call on the bar support! I have had one get broke loose already.
We don't baby these cars, so its best to build as you have.
Cant wait to see her all painted up.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby HRWJim » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:18 pm

Wow Harry your not messin around that's impressive.
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GASSERMAN » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:54 pm

Fine work Harry. Bob...........
GASSERMAN
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:02 am

Good grief. That is some brasswork! Nice stuff!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:26 pm

Thanks for the kind words. Been a while since I had the time to get back to it, but finished the chassis today.

Again I followed the kit as much as possible. Simple to shape the small brass by hand. Rear bumper finally done.

Ready for the paint shop. Used Duplicolor chrome.

Time to get the running gear installed and get some testing in :music-rockout:
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

PreviousNext

Return to Oval Racing HQ!