[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - The Giant Midget Project *Completed*

The Giant Midget Project *Completed*

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

The Giant Midget Project *Completed*

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:33 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: The Giant Midget Project WIP

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:54 pm

Go get 'em, Harry. Don't let them push you around! Well, unless that's the way you start the engine.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Z-carfan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:26 pm

WOW!! This is some cool stuff!!!
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:12 am

Sure sorry to hear you are suffering from GMF. (Giant midget fever) :lol: There is no known cure, but I hear lots of coffee and barbeque will keep back most of the symptom's. I am on the mend now after seven of them. :o .
All kidding aside, The detail and precision of your build is fantastic! That one will look as good as it runs I'm sure. I hope you find them as much fun to run as we did, I cant walk by my track without giving one a few laps.
Super nice build Harry, thanks for sharing.

Pesky Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Almafan 55 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:15 am

I'm down here in Fla. on vacation and a local hobby shop has at lease 12 of those kits. Anyone interested I can post their name and phone number.
Almafan 55
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:23 am

I am interested! what are they going for?

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Almafan 55 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:07 am

Bob, I think $12. But I will check
Almafan 55
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:46 am

That's looking really good, so far!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:29 am

Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Almafan 55 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:04 pm

Almafan 55
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Just a shot or two of the rear with wire installed.

Here is the front. I soldered the sway bar to the wire for extra strength. Not much, but a little goes a long way.

Time for the front stabilizers.

Again I just used the kit parts as a guide.

I just used the honeycomb block and some clamps.

I soldered on some tubing for the side mounts. You have to drill out the existing holes just a shade bigger, but easily done and does not take away from the appearance of the stock body.

I mounted them to the body first, then solder.

The tubes on the side act as body mounts due to the pressure. Between those and the front steering top bracket, the body is held in place nicely.

Ok, time for front bumper. More to come.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ourwayband » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:59 pm

Great info and build Harry!!!

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:55 pm

Awesome WIP!!! Another great close up tut!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:02 pm

Thanks guys.

Ok time for the front bumper. Well, the original has a M. Flip that over and you get a W. Hehe. What a coinkadink huh?

I bent up the letter then used my tap hammer to flatten it a bit.

I made the front bars loops using the wheels. I used the larger part of the rib and just wrapped by hand.

Ok time to get hot.

So the ends are soldered but this is temporary.

Just to hold while I solder in the W.

Then I went back and trimmed off the ends. This way you can spread the ends and fit them over the axle sleeve and the tension holds it in place and super easy to solder.

Ok all finished. Time to keep going. Stay tuned :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:48 pm

Seriously nice brass work!!!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Next

Return to Oval Racing HQ!