BARC Racing Modifed Stock( interior details added)

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

BARC Racing Modifed Stock( interior details added)

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:29 pm

There seem to be many different places to post Showdown projects, and I see a few here.

BARC racing decided to enter a modifed Showdown chassis and that meant building my first brass modifed chassis. In addition I wanted to do something more scale, so this includes moving the motor up front and going with a slim can. As this motor is not approved, I guess this car will be sent in to Harry as a Demo to see if I can get these motors added to the list for next year. I am sending a spec chassis as well, so I thought why not just add another car in the box.

All the front engine components and drive line can be removed and the chassis converted back to a traditional Mid engine set up by removing 6 screws

In trials this car with the small motor up front doesn't handle much different, other then the back end is a little light, but for the type of racer it represents, this seems prototypical.

Now I need to start working on building the engine details and getting a Strangebrew casting ready to plop on this chassis.

Last edited by BARC 1 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: BARC Racing Modifed Stock

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:21 pm

Nice design, look forward to the progress on this.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby slothead » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:08 pm

BARC

Your chassis design is nice - using sheet brass keeps the center of gravity low. I've also used square tubing for the front axle, though it can create a noisy rattle with a metal axle. I often use plastic rod up front especially for free spinning front wheels when a thin spacer is glued to the ends of the axle.

The front engine design and drive train is realistic. If that had a long can motor centered about a third of the way between the axles it would have similar balance to a dirt modified. Add as much inside offset as possible and even with a heavier resin body the car would not rollover.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby bill from nh » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:03 pm

Could you please provide some details about the red shaft coupler? Is this an item you made? Is it coupling two different shaft diameters, such as 1.5 mm & 2.0 mm? Thanks. :)
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:04 am

I have modified this coupling since the picture was taken. I used CA and attached a 2mm tube to the motor shaft. Now I have just one piece of silicone tubing that I am using as the connector.

The motor has a 1mm shaft and the original coupling was various dimensions of tubing to make the connection. I kept loosing grip on the motor shaft. The new method is working much better, and I even polished the rear tires with no slippage.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:54 pm

Progress report as I worked on detailing the motor and chassis, utilizing all the space that the small BARC Block gives me.

The Motor is part of a casting I got from Stangebrew. I cut off the lower end and mounted it on the can motor using double sided carpet tape.. Noise filtering capacitor has been disguised as a distributor cap. Floor pan is made from a cut up soda can. This is fastened to the chassis with minature screws. Headers are fashioned from solder and then heat shrink tubing is used to swedge them down to styrene tube exhausts

More is planned with respect to steering wheel, dash, and a fire suppression system. The driver and seat belts will be added last.

So how does it run?

Very smooth and stable. It is not as fast as the Piranha power 55 Chevy I built for the sportsman class, but it is not that far of the pace. On my home track the 55 chvey will turn laps in the 4.9 range, and this car will run laps at 5.1. So for me wanting to build a more scale like car, I am OK with this performance. Now I just need to convince more of you so that perhaps in the future we will see a scale chassis proxy. As I mentioned before I am going to send this car to Harry along with my 55 Chev. If Harry is inclined he can run some laps on the larger wood track to see how overall lap times stack up.

So far this has been a pile of fun building something that I have never tackled before. All because I decided to try my hand at brass chassied oval proxy racing. So I would strongly encourage others to broaden their horizons slightly in addition to giving proxy racing a try. It certainly has been keeping me entertained.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Oval Racing HQ!