[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Two New Showdown Specials

Two New Showdown Specials

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Two New Showdown Specials

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:43 am

Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Two New Showdown Specials

Postby strangebrew » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:07 am

The competition is heating up....Great start
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:51 am

Yes sir, mighty fine work. Good thinking on the bracket. This is going to be a nice set of racers.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:46 am

I like where those are headed already sir!!!
:banana-dance:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby VTECFOUR » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:52 pm

Hi Keith,

Like the look of those brackets from square stock. Pretty thick wall, at least .064 (1/16")?

Did you get it from that Omni place?

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:21 pm

Yes the square brass is .064 thick. They also sell .050 thick that I think would be more than enough, but I have 3 feet of this size to use up. My little Micromark drill press and Rockwell Bladerunner can do the job, but are a bit lacking in accuracy. I really need a bigger drill press and a metal cutting bandsaw. Luf has the drill press, but I may have to make friends with the local high school metalwork teacher and schmooze some band saw time.

I got the brass tubing from Online Metals in Washington state. I got some drill rod as well, but I got the cheapest ones and next time will go up one step for harder axles.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:28 pm

Harry:

I have one quick question. What is the average weight of one of these Sportsman cars? My chassis are quite heavy and if I think it would help I might drill some swiss cheese holes in the brass. Considering I came last each of the two times I entered this thing, I am not too concerned, but am a bit curious, and I can't remember if you posted car weights anywhere for these.

I considered offsetting the chassis for these, but I want to be able to run them in our Open class when I get them home, and we only are doing road courses at the moment.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:36 pm

I would not bother with the offset. Just keep them even and enjoy them when they return. It makes little difference here.

110g is a good average of my models and a few others. Some a little heavier, some lighter. Anything between 100 and 120 looks like a "sweet spot"

Like my Buick. It's a tubby one @ 121g. But, the weight is low and the guide is far out front. It tracks and sticks very well.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:13 pm

Thanks Harry

I guess it is time to make some swiss cheese. The Camaro without paint and interior is 112g. That might put it close to 120 when ready, but the Mod Vega is already 127g with a fair bit of weight still to come. I should be able to shave 5-10g off with just some careful drilling on the front pan. After that, it will be up to the weight to keep the car on the track.

By comparison, last year's Studebaker was 133g and the Camaro from the year before was about 120g. I guess I know one reason they came last.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bdsharp » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:45 pm

My red and white #7 weighed in at 147g and qualified second. I don't have enough experience to explain that, but I did try to keep everything straight and square, minimizing binding and friction.
bdsharp
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:54 pm

Thanks BD, it gives me courage to send in a somewhat over the weight class entry.

That said, I did some swiss cheese work and trimmed at least 5g from the total on my modified.

I could do the same for the Camaro, but think I will go with it as is. Since I plan to race these here after they get home, and our track lanes have variable voltage controls, I can crank the voltage to whatever I need to be competitive.

Some year I will build a very light car for this shindig. It will probably come last for coming out on every turn. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cantstopnow » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:51 am

Those cars are looking sweet Retro racer 44, That vega gonna look mean.

John W.
cantstopnow
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:59 pm

Last edited by Retro Racer 44 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:46 pm

Oh now that is nicely done.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 pm

That camaro is hot hot hot, be a real shame not to see it compete in the showdown, sure hope it works out for you.
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Next

Return to Oval Racing HQ!