1/32 90's NASCAR - "Project: Thunderbat" WIP

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Re: 1/32 90's NASCAR - "Project: Thunderbat" WIP

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue May 10, 2016 1:40 pm

Well, finished. I used a playing card for an interior tray and glued the dash on top. Did not have a modern driver so used what I had. Trimmed the kit netting roll bar frame and glued it in by itself, then installed the interior.

So it's obvious I used the peel and stick stickers. it won't win any awards by a long shot. But I wanted to see what could be done using them.

Some notes on stickers:

You WILL need to take a scissors and trim some of them. They have large border excess and simply will not fit on the car. This was easy enough, but I could have done better.

On the body:

The bodies of these older cars MIGHT have a "tweak" or twist in them due to age/storage. Some kits in my current collection have very faded box art that tells me they stood out a long time in the sun perhaps. Over time, it could lead to some twisting. Mine had a very slight twist but I heated it with a blow dryer while I had it on the set up block.

I mounted the body on the chassis and while it rested on the tops of the tires, I used rubber bands to lightly hold it. I then heated it with a blow dryer. Did this twice and when cooled, the twist was gone. Key is not to heat in excess. Usually 15-20 second bursts will warm it up enough to adjust the form.

You can just secure it and leave it set a day as well. I did this on accident on a kit and came back the next day it it held. No heat at all.

Gave it 3 coats of Future and then buffed with Meguires auto wax. No doubt that they will stand up pretty well to racing, even though they lack the scale appeal.

And race it shall. At this track it looks well enough at speed and it does run pretty well.

Fun project. I had a great time building it. Hope to see more of you joining in.

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby strangebrew » Tue May 10, 2016 7:48 pm

A little trick for next time.......
after you cut the stickers to size, run a permanent marker around the edge (in this case BLACK) & the white
edging will fade into the car better......I do this with decals printed on white also.
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue May 10, 2016 7:53 pm

Thanks, yes that is what Dixon John said as well. One of those things we learn :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:38 pm

Thanks sir. The decals could look better but it runs.

Bumping this by request.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Previous

Return to Oval Racing HQ!